Las Vegas shooting survivors from Montana mark one year anniversary

White crosses sit in front of the iconic "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign in remembrance of the mass shooting that killed dozens and injured hundreds one year ago Monday.

Organizers said the crosses will remain up for 58 hours with an hour dedicated to each person who lost their life.

We spoke with Montana residents who were at the country concert where the shooting took place. One year later, we checked back in with them as their lives are forever changed following this tragic event.

The short answer is they're doing better, but they still get flashbacks.

"It will always be in the back of my mind. It was a life-changing experience and it will never leave me," said Cody Doyle.

Polson Police Officer, Cody Doyle, was at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival with a group of friends. An event that should have provided him fond memories turned into a tragedy.

 "There are times where even a certain song will come on the radio that was played there at the concert and I’ll just feel super, super sad," explained Doyle.

He still thinks about this night from now and then, but said he's doing better.

He married his girlfriend, who picked him up at the airport following the shooting, but the memories still haunt him.

Doyle said the group of friends he went with still talk about what happened and said they've gotten closer ever since. He hasn't gone to any large events since this concert, but said it's mostly because he hasn't had any interest.

Another survivor is Kyle Cunningham, who couldn't find his wife during the chaos of the shooting. But he's relieved that they found each other before heading back to their home in Missoula.

“Especially right afterward, we did not sleep sound. And now we’ll have occasional dreams about it,” he said.

But the effects of the shooting still loom large for him and his wife.

"We’ve noticed now when we both go in a place we both look for exits," Cunningham said.

Cunningham went to a country concert with his wife this summer in Seattle feeling nervous, but more aware of their surroundings.

He said even though they didn't feel as comfortable as they normally would, they are not going to let what happened a year ago change the rest of their lives.

"When it first happened we decided we're not going to any more concerts, we're not going to Vegas, we're not going to any big cities. You just kind of realize you are not going to let some SOB ruin your life," Cunningham said.

Both men said they're grateful that they're safe and with their families.

A triumphant response to a horrific tragedy.

News For You