Missoula Rural Fire District urges parents to consider fire safe - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

Missoula Rural Fire District urges parents to consider fire safety on Halloween

Posted: Updated:

It's almost time for kids to show off their Halloween costumes, but the Missoula Rural Fire District wants to remind parents to think about fire safety before taking them out to trick-or-treat. 

The Missoula Rural Fire District says to avoid long, flowing costumes that can be a tripping hazard for children. They also advise extra caution around Jack O' Lanterns. Missoula Rural Fire District captain Ron Lubke says excited kids can easily knock over Jack O' Lanterns with candles inside, and advises parents to ensure their children's costumes are as fire-safe as possible. 

"If they're buying a commercial one, they need to look for one that's rated as fire-resistant," Lubke says. "Check the labels. Most costumes nowadays are, but a lot of costumes too are hand-me-downs that have been in families for generations."

Lubke says those hand-me-down costumes might not be fire safe, and recommends replacing them with flame-resistant versions. He advises parents to try on masks before letting children wear them, and to replace them with face paint or makeup if they impair a child's vision. He also recommends replacing standard Jack O' Lantern candles with battery powered candles or glow sticks. 

  • Most Popular

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.