Dog nearly killed by tick paralysis - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

Dog nearly killed by tick paralysis

Posted: Updated:
KELLOGG, Idaho -

A little dog in Kellogg came within inches of death, when he was bitten by a tick, and paralyzed. But luckily for little Scooter, he has already completely bounced back.

Based on how the little black Pomeranian is running around now, it's hard to believe a week ago, he could barely move.

"He could not walk, he was totally paralyzed on the back end," explained Kimberly Johnson from Shoshone Pet Rescue.

She got the call last week from Scooter's foster mom that something was wrong. They brought him to the vet, and a tech noticed the tick.

"They said that once the tick's removed," Johnson explained, "the dog immediately starts getting better, so by the next day we were able to pick him and up and take him to his foster home."

Apparently it was just in time.

Dr. John Cook, DVM., the veterinarian and owner of Kellogg Pet Medical told us tick paralysis can be deadly.

"If you don't get the tick off in time," he said, "because that paralysis keeps moving up and up and up, it can eventually paralyze their breathing muscles, and they die."

Cook says the toxin from a tick bite can take five to nine days to start being a problem, which can be your window to keep your pet alive.   

He says typically, he sees one or two dogs with tick paralysis in a year, but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.

"This year we probably are going to see potentially more of it," Cook said, "because ticks are worse this year."

So what you need to do, is carefully look through your pets fur anytime you take them through a wooded area or a place with high grasses or bushes, by pushing it the other way.

You should also get a tick and flea medication from your vet to fight the pests head on. There are a few different kinds, either a gel you put on their back, or a chewable tablet that tastes like a treat.

Now that Scooter has his meds, he's ready to turn the tables on any tick that tries to take him down.

"He's got medication that was for ticks and flees," Johnson said, "and so now if anything gets on him, they'll be killed."

By the way, Scooter's foster family has decided to adopt him.

  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Creators, cast of 'Stranger Things' debut season 2 trailer

    Creators, cast of 'Stranger Things' debut season 2 trailer

    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:22 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:22:34 GMT

    SAN DIEGO (AP) - The creators of "Stranger Things" premiered a trailer for the show's second season at Comic-Con on Saturday that was so new, even the cast hadn't seen it. The Duffer Bros. were joined by director Shawn Levy and stars Millie Bobby Brown, Matthew Modine and the crew of young actors who play a group of friends searching for their buddy who mysteriously disappears.

    SAN DIEGO (AP) - The creators of "Stranger Things" premiered a trailer for the show's second season at Comic-Con on Saturday that was so new, even the cast hadn't seen it. The Duffer Bros. were joined by director Shawn Levy and stars Millie Bobby Brown, Matthew Modine and the crew of young actors who play a group of friends searching for their buddy who mysteriously disappears.

  • Crews continue to fight brush fire near Highway 195

    Crews continue to fight brush fire near Highway 195

    Saturday, July 22 2017 7:50 PM EDT2017-07-22 23:50:23 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Washington State Patrol reports the Snag fire burning south of Spokane is 50 percent contained as of Saturday evening. Crews are expected to be on the scene of the fire through the night Saturday.

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Washington State Patrol reports the Snag fire burning south of Spokane is 50 percent contained as of Saturday evening. Crews are expected to be on the scene of the fire through the night Saturday.

  • Deer Park apartment complex fire contained to one room

    Deer Park apartment complex fire contained to one room

    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:58 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:58:56 GMT

    DEER PARK, Wash. - The Spokane Valley Fire Department reports that a fire in an apartment complex in Deer Park Saturday morning has been ruled accidental.  Firefighters were called to a fire at 15 N. Weber Ave. in Deer Park around 8:15 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the vents of the roof of a two story apartment building. 

    DEER PARK, Wash. - The Spokane Valley Fire Department reports that a fire in an apartment complex in Deer Park Saturday morning has been ruled accidental.  Firefighters were called to a fire at 15 N. Weber Ave. in Deer Park around 8:15 a.m. and found smoke and flames coming from the vents of the roof of a two story apartment building. 

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.