Missoula Task Force Continues Cracking Down On Internet Crimes - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

Missoula Task Force Continues Cracking Down On Internet Crimes

Posted: Updated:
MISSOULA -

The Missoula Police Department said its Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force doesn't plan on making any changes to the way it handles internet crimes, even after one of the men arrested in a sting last December is found not guilty.

36-year-old Chad Lee Briggs of Bonner and his girlfriend, Jenna Davis were two of seven people arrested in a sex sting by the Missoula Police Department last December.

Briggs was acquitted last week on charges he responded to online ad made by undercover officers offering sex with a 12-year-old girl.

In court he said the initial ad didn't explicitly say anything about an underage girl and he contacted the ad's author out of concern, and flagged the page once the girl's age was posted.

He said he later figured out his girlfriend, Jenna Davis was communicating with undercover detectives to set up the encounter.

After being charged, he said child protective services took his daughter away, he lost his job and home.

Still police said ICAC task force makes arrests based on an investigation, and it's up to the justice system to decide if that person is guilty.

“It's been a useful tool for us. We've had success with the operation which we held last December as a success, but again we don't worry about the eventual outcomes of the trial. At the time we're investigating and making arrest based on probable cause,” said Missoula Police Sergeant Travis Welsh.

Briggs girlfriend Jenna Davis is also charged in the sting. Several others who were arrested are still awaiting their trials.
  • NationalMore>>

  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    Friday, July 20 2018 4:52 PM EDT2018-07-20 20:52:38 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 2:57 PM EDT2018-07-21 18:57:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ronda Churchill, File). FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, an American flag waves near a police barricade on the Las Vegas Strip with the MGM Grand hotel and casino in the background after a mass shooting in Las Vegas. The unprecedented ...(AP Photo/Ronda Churchill, File). FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2017 file photo, an American flag waves near a police barricade on the Las Vegas Strip with the MGM Grand hotel and casino in the background after a mass shooting in Las Vegas. The unprecedented ...
    The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas relies on an obscure U.S. law never tested in court.
    The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas relies on an obscure U.S. law never tested in court.
  • Bayer to stop sales of birth control device tied to injuries

    Bayer to stop sales of birth control device tied to injuries

    Friday, July 20 2018 12:14 PM EDT2018-07-20 16:14:13 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 2:56 PM EDT2018-07-21 18:56:58 GMT
    (Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals via AP). FILE - This image provided by Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals shows the birth control implant Essure. On Friday, July 20, 2018, the maker of the permanent contraceptive implant subject to thousands of injury ...(Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals via AP). FILE - This image provided by Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals shows the birth control implant Essure. On Friday, July 20, 2018, the maker of the permanent contraceptive implant subject to thousands of injury ...
    The maker of a permanent birth control implant said Friday it will stop selling the device in the U.S. at the end of the year.
    The maker of a permanent birth control implant said Friday it will stop selling the device in the U.S. at the end of the year.
  • Zuckerberg's Holocaust comment puts Facebook on the spot

    Zuckerberg's Holocaust comment puts Facebook on the spot

    Wednesday, July 18 2018 6:08 PM EDT2018-07-18 22:08:45 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 2:54 PM EDT2018-07-21 18:54:22 GMT
    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.
    Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says that while he finds Holocaust denial "deeply offensive," he doesn't believe that such content should be banned from Facebook.
  • Most Popular

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.