Victim recounts Southern California shark attack - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

Victim recounts Southern California shark attack

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (AP) - A man who was attacked by a great white shark off a Southern California beach is describing how quickly a routine swim turned into a bloody nightmare.

Steven Robles was in the water off Manhattan Beach near Los Angeles when the 7-foot-long juvenile shark suddenly appeared Saturday morning.

He tells KABC-TV that the shark looked at him and "locked into my chest."

Robles was taken to shore and by Sunday morning had been released from the hospital.

Witnesses said the shark had been hooked by a fisherman on a nearby pier and was thrashing in the water for more than 30 minutes before biting Robles about 300 yards off shore.

The beach, crowded over the holiday weekend, was eventually reopened.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a 7-foot-long great white shark bit a man swimming off of Southern California's Manhattan Beach.

Rick Flores, a Los Angeles County Fire spokesman, said Saturday that the victim was bitten on the upper right side about 9:30 a.m., suffering puncture wounds described as moderate. The victim was taken to a hospital conscious and breathing on his own.

Flores says a person fishing off the Manhattan Beach Pier hooked the shark and spent over 30 minutes trying to reel it in, which made the shark agitated.

The victim was in a group of long-distance swimmers about 300 yards off the beach, where Flores says the shark bit the man.

The fisherman cut the line and a surfer put the injured swimmer on his board, taking him ashore.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Leadership Spokane appoints Col. Newberry Executive Director

    Leadership Spokane appoints Col. Newberry Executive Director

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:14 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:14:22 GMT
    Colonel Brian Newberry was announced today by the Leadership Spokane Board of Trustees as the new Executive Director.Newberry begins his new position on August 1st and is taking over for Linda Finney who retired at the end of June. Colonel Brian M. Newberry was the Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash.
    Colonel Brian Newberry was announced today by the Leadership Spokane Board of Trustees as the new Executive Director.Newberry begins his new position on August 1st and is taking over for Linda Finney who retired at the end of June. Colonel Brian M. Newberry was the Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash.
  • West Nile virus detected in North Idaho

    West Nile virus detected in North Idaho

    Friday, July 25 2014 8:32 PM EDT2014-07-26 00:32:15 GMT
    Mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus have been found in Boundary County. This is the first detection of the virus in northern Idaho.In 2006, Idaho led the nation in West Nile illnesses with almost 1,000 infections, which contributed to 23 deaths. In 2013, 40 human cases were reported in 16 counties, and there were two deaths.
    Mosquitoes carrying the West Nile virus have been found in Boundary County. This is the first detection of the virus in northern Idaho.In 2006, Idaho led the nation in West Nile illnesses with almost 1,000 infections, which contributed to 23 deaths. In 2013, 40 human cases were reported in 16 counties, and there were two deaths.
  • Former Spokane Police Officer Karl Thompson denied by US Court of Appeals

    Former Spokane Police Officer Karl Thompson denied by US Court of Appeals

    Friday, July 25 2014 7:50 PM EDT2014-07-25 23:50:05 GMT
    The U.S. Court of Appeals turns down former Spokane Police Officer Karl Thompson. His lawyers asked the court for a new trial due to what they called "jury misconduct."Thompson was convicted by a Federal Jury in 2006 of using excessive force against Otto Zhem, and then later lying to investigators about it. Zhem died from these injuries. 
    The U.S. Court of Appeals turns down former Spokane Police Officer Karl Thompson. His lawyers asked the court for a new trial due to what they called "jury misconduct."Thompson was convicted by a Federal Jury in 2006 of using excessive force against Otto Zhem, and then later lying to investigators about it. Zhem died from these injuries. 
Powered by WorldNow

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.