UPDATE: Man pours gas on fire pit in CDA; 2 children burned - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

UPDATE: Man pours gas on fire pit in CDA; 2 children burned

Posted: Updated:
Here are the two children, ages 4 and 8 who were injured in the gas can explosion. Here are the two children, ages 4 and 8 who were injured in the gas can explosion.
UPDATE: According to Tracy Emerson, the mother of the 8-year-old boy, her son is intubated and medical officials are afraid of his throat swelling shut. He is expected to stay in the hospital from 3 to 4 weeks.

The 4-year-old girl has been up and walking and will learn on Tuesday whether or not she will need any surgery. The male adult neighbor who saw the incident unfold was her father.

 DETAILS:
Two young Coeur d'Alene children are hospitalized in Seattle after suffering burns when a gas can exploded near a backyard fire pit.
    
Police say a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire at about 5 p.m. Saturday when the can caught fire. He threw the can behind him, where it exploded and burned an 8-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl.
    
The boy was hospitalized in intensive care with first-and second-degree burns on 21 percent of his body, mostly his legs and arms. The girl suffered burns in 9 percent of her body.
    
Sgt. Christie Wood says police have forwarded the results of their investigation to Kootenai County prosecutors to determine if charges should be filed.


PRESS RELEASE FROM THE CDA POLICE DEPT:On June 28th at 5:00pm the Coeur d’Alene Fire Department and the Coeur d’Alene Police Department responded to the 1400 block of Norlyn Ct. for a fire in the back yard that resulted in the severe injury of two children. A 35 year-old male from Coeur d’Alene was in the back yard of the residence as a visitor. He began pouring gasoline from a five gallon jug onto a lit fire pit. The male poured gas a couple of times and then saw the gas can catch on fire.

The male threw the gas can approximately five feet behind him where it exploded. The contents of the gas can and the fire engulfed two children. The children had been sitting on a swing in the back yard. An eight year-old boy sustained 20% burns to his body. A four year-old girl sustained 35% burns to her body.

A male adult neighbor saw the entire incident unfold while he was on his back deck. He ran and jumped over the chain link fence that separates the properties and put the fire out on the four year-old victim. The male responsible for the fire patted down the eight year-old and put out the fire.

Once on scene, Coeur d’ Alene Fire EMT’s immediately loaded the children into ambulances and transported them to Kootenai Health. From there they were both flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle WA.

Police Detectives interviewed the male and he was cooperative. A report was taken for Injury to a Child. No formal charges have been filed at this time.

This incident serves as a serious reminder of how quickly injuries can occur with fire and a flammable liquid. With the 4th of July approaching the Fire Department is reminding the public to never mix fire with anything explosive.

  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • House fire on Bitterroot Lane destroys three cars

    House fire on Bitterroot Lane destroys three cars

    Saturday, December 16 2017 2:15 AM EST2017-12-16 07:15:02 GMT
    House fire on Bitterroot Lane destroys three carsHouse fire on Bitterroot Lane destroys three cars

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to a report of structure fire at 13307 E Bitterroot Ln in the Elk Ridge Heights neighborhood Friday evening. Firefighters say everyone made it out safely. When they arrived, they found a large amount of fire coming from the 3 car attached garage. Because of their quick work, the fire was under control within minutes. The occupants of the home reported smelling smoke while 

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Spokane Valley Fire Department responded to a report of structure fire at 13307 E Bitterroot Ln in the Elk Ridge Heights neighborhood Friday evening. Firefighters say everyone made it out safely. When they arrived, they found a large amount of fire coming from the 3 car attached garage. Because of their quick work, the fire was under control within minutes. The occupants of the home reported smelling smoke while 

  • Police: Fast food customer in Indiana orders cheese sticks, gets side of cocaine

    Police: Fast food customer in Indiana orders cheese sticks, gets side of cocaine

    Saturday, December 16 2017 2:10 AM EST2017-12-16 07:10:41 GMT
    Police: Fast food customer in Indiana orders cheese sticks, gets side of cocainePolice: Fast food customer in Indiana orders cheese sticks, gets side of cocaine

    GRIFFITH, Ind. - A fast food restaurant in Northwest Indiana will remain closed until police figure out how cocaine allegedly wound up in a customer’s order. A Broad Street Gyros customer called police Nov. 21 saying she thought there was cocaine in her takeout order. According to the Chicago Tribune, the woman told police she found a small baggie of white powder stuffed inside a plastic foam cup along with her cheese sticks. According to 

    GRIFFITH, Ind. - A fast food restaurant in Northwest Indiana will remain closed until police figure out how cocaine allegedly wound up in a customer’s order. A Broad Street Gyros customer called police Nov. 21 saying she thought there was cocaine in her takeout order. According to the Chicago Tribune, the woman told police she found a small baggie of white powder stuffed inside a plastic foam cup along with her cheese sticks. According to 

  • Mad Minute stories from Friday, December 15th

    Mad Minute stories from Friday, December 15th

    Saturday, December 16 2017 2:00 AM EST2017-12-16 07:00:12 GMT

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Friday, December 15th.

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Friday, December 15th.

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.