SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shoote - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shooter's Manifesto Found

Posted: Updated:

ISLA VISTA, California- The student who killed six people near the University of California, Santa Barbara, detailed in a manifesto how deputies almost thwarted his killing plan.

Elliot Rodger wrote in the 141-page rambling document how he narrowly missed being found out when deputies knocked on his door last month.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says deputies checked on Rodger after being called by a concerned family member. The officers left after determining he didn't need to be locked up for mental-health reasons.

Rodger expressed relief that his apartment wasn't searched because deputies would have found his weapons and his writings and would have foiled his plan.

Brown says he won't second-guess his deputies' decision-making in the encounter.

Rodger carried out part of his plan before he was killed.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Previous Story:

GOLETA, Calif. (AP) - A lawyer says the family of a man they believe went on a shooting rampage near a Santa Barbara, California, university called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the killing of people."

Family attorney Alan Shifman says police interviewed Elliot Rodger and found him to be a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human." Shifman says police found no history of guns, but did say Rodger had trouble making friends and didn't have any girlfriends.

Shifman is the attorney for Peter Rodger, who was one of the assistant directors on "The Hunger Games."

Authorities haven't confirmed the identity of the suspect. But Elliot Rodger is the suspected gunman.

Police say a gunman driving a BMW killed six people last night in the beachside community of Isla Vista. The suspect was later found dead with a gunshot wound to the head, but it's not clear whether he was shot by deputies or committed suicide.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says seven people are hospitalized with gunshot wounds or other injuries, including one who has undergone surgery.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Rising Eagle Road Fire: New fire near Winthrop and Twisp

    Rising Eagle Road Fire: New fire near Winthrop and Twisp

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:59 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:59:15 GMT
    KHQ.COM - According to Carlton Complex information, a new fire has started south of Winthrop near the smoke jumper base we are assisting local agencies and providing resources as necessary. This fire is not apart of the Carlton Complex fire, but they are assisting. >>>>> CLICK INSIDE FOR MORE INFORMATION>>>>>>
    KHQ.COM - According to Carlton Complex information, a new fire has started south of Winthrop near the smoke jumper base we are assisting local agencies and providing resources as necessary. This fire is not apart of the Carlton Complex fire, but they are assisting. >>>>> CLICK INSIDE FOR MORE INFORMATION>>>>>>
  • Fatal crash in Deer Park on SR 395

    Fatal crash in Deer Park on SR 395

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:40 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:40:19 GMT
    One person is dead after a fatal crash between a pick up truck and a SUV before 4:30 p.m. on Friday.The accident happened in Deer Park on SR 395 at H street. One death is confirmed at the scene and State Patrol units are investigating the scene.We will update you with more details as we get them.
    One person is dead after a fatal crash between a pick up truck and a SUV before 4:30 p.m. on Friday.The accident happened in Deer Park on SR 395 at H street. One death is confirmed at the scene and State Patrol units are investigating the scene.We will update you with more details as we get them.
  • 2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital

    2 Ebola victims to be treated at Atlanta hospital

    Friday, August 1 2014 4:44 PM EDT2014-08-01 20:44:43 GMT
    CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - Presidents from the West African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak are meeting with world health leaders to come up with ways to stop the spread of the deadly disease. The World Health Organization said Friday it is launching a new joint $100 million response plan to the outbreak that has killed at least 729 people in four countries.
    CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - Presidents from the West African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak are meeting with world health leaders to come up with ways to stop the spread of the deadly disease. The World Health Organization said Friday it is launching a new joint $100 million response plan to the outbreak that has killed at least 729 people in four countries.
Powered by WorldNow

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.