SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shoote - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

SLIDESHOW: 7 Dead In Mass Shooting Near UC Santa Barbara, Shooter's Manifesto Found

Posted: Updated:

ISLA VISTA, California- The student who killed six people near the University of California, Santa Barbara, detailed in a manifesto how deputies almost thwarted his killing plan.

Elliot Rodger wrote in the 141-page rambling document how he narrowly missed being found out when deputies knocked on his door last month.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says deputies checked on Rodger after being called by a concerned family member. The officers left after determining he didn't need to be locked up for mental-health reasons.

Rodger expressed relief that his apartment wasn't searched because deputies would have found his weapons and his writings and would have foiled his plan.

Brown says he won't second-guess his deputies' decision-making in the encounter.

Rodger carried out part of his plan before he was killed.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Previous Story:

GOLETA, Calif. (AP) - A lawyer says the family of a man they believe went on a shooting rampage near a Santa Barbara, California, university called police several weeks ago after being alarmed by YouTube videos "regarding suicide and the killing of people."

Family attorney Alan Shifman says police interviewed Elliot Rodger and found him to be a "perfectly polite, kind and wonderful human." Shifman says police found no history of guns, but did say Rodger had trouble making friends and didn't have any girlfriends.

Shifman is the attorney for Peter Rodger, who was one of the assistant directors on "The Hunger Games."

Authorities haven't confirmed the identity of the suspect. But Elliot Rodger is the suspected gunman.

Police say a gunman driving a BMW killed six people last night in the beachside community of Isla Vista. The suspect was later found dead with a gunshot wound to the head, but it's not clear whether he was shot by deputies or committed suicide.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown says seven people are hospitalized with gunshot wounds or other injuries, including one who has undergone surgery.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex fire

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex fire

    Friday, July 25 2014 1:11 PM EDT2014-07-25 17:11:57 GMT
    KHQ.COM - Photographer, Sy Stepanov gave us permission to share these devastating photos of the destruction caused by the Carlton Complex fire. This fire has burned over 250,000 acres becoming the largest wildfire in Washington state history. Over 150 homes have been destroyed by the fire which started on July 14th.
    KHQ.COM - Photographer, Sy Stepanov gave us permission to share these devastating photos of the destruction caused by the Carlton Complex fire. This fire has burned over 250,000 acres becoming the largest wildfire in Washington state history. Over 150 homes have been destroyed by the fire which started on July 14th.
  • Progress being made on power outages

    Progress being made on power outages

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:38 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:38:54 GMT
    As of 9:00am Friday, there are just less than 20,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 9,000 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>
    As of 9:00am Friday, there are just less than 20,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 9,000 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>
  • Boil-water advisories issued in several eastern Washington areas after storms

    Boil-water advisories issued in several eastern Washington areas after storms

    Friday, July 25 2014 5:45 AM EDT2014-07-25 09:45:06 GMT
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - The Washington State Department of Health believes some local water systems are at risk after severe storms moved through the area on Wednesday and they have issued some boil-water advisories. 
    SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - The Washington State Department of Health believes some local water systems are at risk after severe storms moved through the area on Wednesday and they have issued some boil-water advisories. In Spokane and Pend Oreille counties, several water systems are under boil-water advisories:·
Powered by WorldNow

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.