School Tells Boy Not To Wear 'My Little Pony' Backpack, Says It - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

School Tells Boy Not To Wear 'My Little Pony' Backpack, Says It 'Triggers Bullying'

Posted: Updated:
PHOTO: NBCNews via WLTX PHOTO: NBCNews via WLTX
BUNCOMBE COUNTY, N.C. - A 9-year-old boy in North Carolina was reportedly told by school officials last week that he couldn't bring his "My Little Pony" backpack to school anymore because it is a "trigger for bullying."

Grayson Bruce said he keeps getting shoved around, punched, picked on and called horrible names by bullies who think his backpack is for girls.

Grayson told the news station he is a fan of the show that emphasizes the meaning of friendship, and while he knows it is mostly directed at girls, he still enjoys it. But after picking out a new bag this year the attacks on him intensified.

Grayson's mother, Noreen, said the school's response to the situation was to ask him to leave the bag at home because it had become a distraction and was a "trigger for bullying."

Noreen told WLTX the logic behind that thinking is extremely flawed.

"Saying a lunchbox is a trigger for bullying, is like saying a short skirt is a trigger for rape," said Noreen.

The school district said in a statement released to the media that leaving the backpack at home was just an initial step to address the situation, and they will continue to take steps to resolve the issue.

Right now, Grayson is using a different backpack, but both he and his mother don't think it's right.

What do you think? Let us know on our Facebook Page: KHQ Local News and on Twitter: @KHQLocalNews
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Head-on crash kills 1, injures 8, when driver attempts to pass slow-moving vehicle on Hwy 95

    Head-on crash kills 1, injures 8, when driver attempts to pass slow-moving vehicle on Hwy 95

    Thursday, November 23 2017 4:01 PM EST2017-11-23 21:01:52 GMT

    SAGLE, Idaho - A fatal and serious injury head-on crash has killed one man and injured eight others, including five children, who all had to be transported to Kootenai Health. The crash occurred on Wednesday, November 22, the day before Thanksgiving, on Highway 95 at milepost 466.5, two miles south of Sagle, Idaho.

    SAGLE, Idaho - A fatal and serious injury head-on crash has killed one man and injured eight others, including five children, who all had to be transported to Kootenai Health. The crash occurred on Wednesday, November 22, the day before Thanksgiving, on Highway 95 at milepost 466.5, two miles south of Sagle, Idaho.

  • Las Vegas pot dispensaries offer Black Friday deals

    Las Vegas pot dispensaries offer Black Friday deals

    Thursday, November 23 2017 3:47 PM EST2017-11-23 20:47:50 GMT
    Things are about to change for several people in Spokane.Things are about to change for several people in Spokane.

    LAS VEGAS (AP) - Big box stores won't be the only ones offering discounts to shoppers in Las Vegas this Black Friday. Marijuana dispensaries in the area are rolling out deals, too. The Las Vegas Sun reports more than 40 dispensaries in the Las Vegas area will offer discounts on marijuana flower products, edibles such as chocolates, and concentrates.

    LAS VEGAS (AP) - Big box stores won't be the only ones offering discounts to shoppers in Las Vegas this Black Friday. Marijuana dispensaries in the area are rolling out deals, too. The Las Vegas Sun reports more than 40 dispensaries in the Las Vegas area will offer discounts on marijuana flower products, edibles such as chocolates, and concentrates.

  • Sound heard in Argentine sub search could be explosion

    Sound heard in Argentine sub search could be explosion

    Thursday, November 23 2017 2:45 PM EST2017-11-23 19:45:18 GMT

    MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (AP) - Argentina's navy announced Thursday that a sound detected during the search for a missing submarine is consistent with that of an explosion - an ominous development in the hunt for the vessel and its 44 crew members.   Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said that the relatives of the crew have been informed and that the search will continue until there is full certainty about the fate of the ARA San Juan.

    MAR DEL PLATA, Argentina (AP) - Argentina's navy announced Thursday that a sound detected during the search for a missing submarine is consistent with that of an explosion - an ominous development in the hunt for the vessel and its 44 crew members.   Navy spokesman Enrique Balbi said that the relatives of the crew have been informed and that the search will continue until there is full certainty about the fate of the ARA San Juan.

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.