Man Steals Love of His Life From Pastor - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

Man Steals Love of His Life From Pastor

Posted: Updated:
MISSOULA -

In the TV business we're always looking for great stories to tell and on Valentine's Day ABC FOX MONTANA's Sarah Gravlee set out to find a great American love story. She met Fern and Woody Olson.

While they've been in Missoula for decades, their love story starts decades before that in a small town in North Dakota. They had first and second grad classes in the same room and Fern said she returned home from school to tell her mother she met the man she was going to marry. "And it was Elwood," she said.

The two went on one date before Woody was sent to Korea.

"Our little hometown said, 'Write to the boys who are in Korea. They need letters from home,' and so I wrote to the different boys and Elwood was one of them," Fern said.

"So I got this letter and I was just elated because she was just such a nice gal," Woody said. "I could hardly wait till I got discharged and home so I could treat her the way she should be treated."

But when Woody returned, Fern was dating the local Lutheran pastor.

"One day I was going into the bank, the Lutheran pastor came up to me and said, 'How serious are you about Fernie?' I said 'Well, I'm pretty serious." He said, 'Well, I'm gonna ask her to marry me,' so I went into the bank and I called Fernie up and I said, 'Let's go out for a Coke tonight,' and I thought, "Maybe this would be a good night to ask her to marry me,'" Woody said.

They went for a drive to the City Dump because it was the only hill in town.

"He said, 'Maybe we should get married' and I said, 'Maybe we should,'" Fern recalled.

They got married on Aug 8, 1954, and will celebrate their 60th anniversary this summer.

"I stole her, yeah, and I was so happy," Woody said.

"Well I'm very fortunate to be married to such a great guy," Fern said.

They have four kids and nine grandchildren.

Ted and Juanita Burton will also celebrate their 60th anniversary this summer.

We asked them about the secret to staying together all those years.

"The secret is understanding each other and hopefully giving good advice back and forth. She's my finest asset," Ted said.

"Oh you have to know when to be quiet and when to listen. When to be trustworthy, always trustworthy. I don't know, we get along pretty well," Juanita said.

• Most Popular

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

SO GOOD: Montana Tech's Xavier Marsden

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:26 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:26:24 GMT
    Sophomore cornerback Xavier Marsden is from La Mirada California, right outside Los Angeles. The city boy says he loves being in Butte. "It's been good. Coming from a big city to a small town definitely

Former Griz Football Player Battles Cancer

Tuesday, April 8 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-08 23:00:04 GMT
    A former Griz football player prepares to take on different kind of physical challenge, after learning he has cancer. Former linebacker Cole Lockwood got his diagnosis just last week and is now recovering

Trial Beginning In Spokane Stolen Car Shooting

Monday, March 31 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-03-31 17:52:27 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The trial is beginning this week in Spokane for a man accused of killing a man who was taking his SUV. Gail Gerlach is charged with manslaughter in the March 2013 shooting of 25-year-old Brendan Kaluza-Graham. Gerlach says he fired when he thought he saw a gun. Police found no gun in the vehicle.

Montana Tech Football Building Momentum

Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:37 PM EDT2014-04-17 03:37:21 GMT
    The Oredigger football team only has a handful of practices remaining before the Spring Game. Head Coach Chuck Morrell says the energy is high. "I love the way we're operating tempo wise right now.

Fatal Crash on Frontage Road in Bozeman

Wednesday, April 16 2014 5:27 PM EDT2014-04-16 21:27:10 GMT
    One person is dead, following a crash on Frontage Road in Bozeman on Wednesday afternoon. The crash happened shortly after 2 p.m. at the intersection of Frontage Road and Valley Center Road. ABC Fox Montana

Local Teenager Regains True Sense of Smell and Taste

Friday, April 11 2014 6:16 PM EDT2014-04-11 22:16:15 GMT
    Dara Crouse underwent a surgery today. First and foremost, the surgery happened to allow Dara Crouse to breathe. That's according to her mother, Jana Crouse. She realized her daughter had a problem
    Dara Crouse underwent a surgery today.

Latest of Noah Pippin's Death

The Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Search Team made their way through the Bob Marshall wilderness to search for new evidence with regards to the disappearance and death of Noah Pippin. They

Brewery Gets A Boost

Wednesday, April 2 2014 8:22 PM EDT2014-04-03 00:22:45 GMT
    The beer business is getting a boost over in Whitefish. The Great Northern Brewing Company just got 3 new 100-barrel fermenting tanks set up on Wednesday to the tune of nearly $250,000. Later
    The beer business is getting a boost over in Whitefish.
Powered by WorldNow

Features

• More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.