Man Steals Love of His Life From Pastor - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

Man Steals Love of His Life From Pastor

Posted: Updated:
MISSOULA -

In the TV business we're always looking for great stories to tell and on Valentine's Day ABC FOX MONTANA's Sarah Gravlee set out to find a great American love story. She met Fern and Woody Olson.

While they've been in Missoula for decades, their love story starts decades before that in a small town in North Dakota. They had first and second grad classes in the same room and Fern said she returned home from school to tell her mother she met the man she was going to marry. "And it was Elwood," she said.

The two went on one date before Woody was sent to Korea.

"Our little hometown said, 'Write to the boys who are in Korea. They need letters from home,' and so I wrote to the different boys and Elwood was one of them," Fern said.

"So I got this letter and I was just elated because she was just such a nice gal," Woody said. "I could hardly wait till I got discharged and home so I could treat her the way she should be treated."

But when Woody returned, Fern was dating the local Lutheran pastor.

"One day I was going into the bank, the Lutheran pastor came up to me and said, 'How serious are you about Fernie?' I said 'Well, I'm pretty serious." He said, 'Well, I'm gonna ask her to marry me,' so I went into the bank and I called Fernie up and I said, 'Let's go out for a Coke tonight,' and I thought, "Maybe this would be a good night to ask her to marry me,'" Woody said.

They went for a drive to the City Dump because it was the only hill in town.

"He said, 'Maybe we should get married' and I said, 'Maybe we should,'" Fern recalled.

They got married on Aug 8, 1954, and will celebrate their 60th anniversary this summer.

"I stole her, yeah, and I was so happy," Woody said.

"Well I'm very fortunate to be married to such a great guy," Fern said.

They have four kids and nine grandchildren.

Ted and Juanita Burton will also celebrate their 60th anniversary this summer.

We asked them about the secret to staying together all those years.

"The secret is understanding each other and hopefully giving good advice back and forth. She's my finest asset," Ted said.

"Oh you have to know when to be quiet and when to listen. When to be trustworthy, always trustworthy. I don't know, we get along pretty well," Juanita said.

• Most Popular

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Firefighters Prepare For 2014 Wildfire Season

Wednesday, April 16 2014 12:33 AM EDT2014-04-16 04:33:39 GMT
    Wildfire season is just about here, and the Missoula Fire Department and Missoula Rural Fire District are already gearing up. Firefighters said every year they take different classes to train for the

Griz Lax Gaining Popularity

Thursday, April 17 2014 12:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 04:41:14 GMT
    The Montana Lacrosse team is preparing for their last three games of the regular season.  They're currently 6-6 and with all three games at home in Washington Grizzly Stadium, they're hoping the playoffs are on the horizon.

Frontage Road Crash Victim Identified

Thursday, April 17 2014 1:37 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:37:02 GMT
    The Gallatin County coroner says 30-year-old Kari Friedman from Bozeman died in a crash at the intersection of Frontage and Valley Center Roads Wednesday. The Montana Highway Patrol said Friedman was turning

Man Identified In Fatal Crash Friday Morning On Bowdish Rd.

Friday, April 18 2014 4:13 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:13:11 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The man killed in an early morning crash on Friday has been identified as 34-year-old, Alejandro E. Apodaca. Just before 12:30, Apodaca crashed his car on S. Bowdish Rd. He was traveling South on Bowdish near 17th when he lost control of his car, uprooting a tree in the front yard of a home.

USA Brass Reopens, Investigation Continues

Friday, March 28 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-03-29 03:36:50 GMT
    USA Brass reopened Friday after it was shut down Thursday during a federal investigation into environmental concerns. Today employees spent the day re-organizing the facility after the Environmental Protection

Wyoming Man Threatens Belgrade Police Officer

Friday, April 18 2014 12:47 AM EDT2014-04-18 04:47:25 GMT
    A Wyoming man is behind bars tonight after threatening to kill Belgrade police officers at a bar Wednesday night. Larry Ward Hill, 65, from Sheridan, Wyoming faces charges of intimidation, a felony and

No Serious Injuries In Missoula Garage Fire

Thursday, April 17 2014 8:29 PM EDT2014-04-18 00:29:11 GMT
    No one is hurt after an early morning garage fire in Missoula, but Missoula firefighters said it was a close call. The fire happened around 5:30 a.m. Thursday, in an alley at 622 N. 2nd Street West.

MDT Looking To Make Changes At Busy Intersection

Friday, April 18 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-18 16:07:29 GMT
    Montana Department of Transportation is looking to change an increasingly busy intersection northwest of Bozeman where a woman died in a two vehicle crash Wednesday. MDT is finishing up a traffic study
Powered by WorldNow

Features

• More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.