RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado - ABC FOX Montana Local News, Weather, Sports KTMF | KWYB

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado

Posted: Updated:

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - Colorado officials say the emergency response to the flood disaster is ending and the long and arduous task of recovery has begun.
    
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Wednesday that rescue workers are ending "high octane" search-and-rescue operations. Searchers are now going door-to-door and looking through debris piles and vehicles for victims and damage in the flood-scarred areas of the foothills.
    
Those crews include Federal Emergency Management Agency urban search-and-rescue teams with search dogs and medical supplies.
    
Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback of the Colorado National Guard says some of the helicopters flying rescue missions may be returned to Fort Carson.
    
As the airlifts taper off, so have the number of missing. State emergency officials say that number was just over 300 by Wednesday morning.
    
There have been six confirmed deaths.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LYONS, Colo. (AP) - As water recedes and flows east onto the Colorado plains rescuers are shifting their focus from emergency airlifts to trying to find the hundreds of people still unaccounted for after last week's devastating flooding.
    
Federal and state emergency officials said more than 3,000 people have been evacuated by air and ground, but calls for those emergency rescues have decreased.
    
The state's latest count has dropped to about 580 people missing, and the number continues to decrease as the stranded get in touch with families.
    
State officials reported six flood-related deaths, plus two women missing and presumed dead. The number was expected to increase. It could take weeks or even months to search through flooded areas looking for bodies.
    
State and local transportation officials are tallying the washed-out roads, collapsed bridges and twisted railroad lines.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Chipotle says customers' payment card info stolen in data breach

    Chipotle says customers' payment card info stolen in data breach

    Friday, May 26 2017 7:18 PM EDT2017-05-26 23:18:04 GMT
    Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. said Friday that hackers used malware to steal customers' card information from payment systems at several restaurants over a three week span.  The information stolen includes account numbers, expiration dates, and internal verification codes.  Chipotle says it is unsure how many payment cards are affected, but notes the malware has been removed.  An investigation discovered that the malware searched for track data using the magnetic strip...
    Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. said Friday that hackers used malware to steal customers' card information from payment systems at several restaurants over a three week span.  The information stolen includes account numbers, expiration dates, and internal verification codes.  Chipotle says it is unsure how many payment cards are affected, but notes the malware has been removed.  An investigation discovered that the malware searched for track data using the magnetic strip...
  • Pentagon report alleges body of astronaut John Glenn was disrespected at US Air Force mortuary

    Pentagon report alleges body of astronaut John Glenn was disrespected at US Air Force mortuary

    Friday, May 26 2017 7:05 PM EDT2017-05-26 23:05:21 GMT
    Glenn was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Washington: APGlenn was buried at Arlington Cemetery in Washington: AP

    WASHINGTON - Pentagon officials have launched a high level investigation into whether or not misconduct was committed after reports of a senior mortuary employee twice offering inspectors a 'peek' at American icon John Glenn's dead body. An internal memo obtained by the Military Times, written by the Defense Department's director of casualty and mortuary affairs Deborah Skillman, states that the employee's alleged actions at Dover 

    WASHINGTON - Pentagon officials have launched a high level investigation into whether or not misconduct was committed after reports of a senior mortuary employee twice offering inspectors a 'peek' at American icon John Glenn's dead body. An internal memo obtained by the Military Times, written by the Defense Department's director of casualty and mortuary affairs Deborah Skillman, states that the employee's alleged actions at Dover 

  • Mad Minute stories from Thursday, May 25th

    Mad Minute stories from Thursday, May 25th

    Friday, May 26 2017 2:00 AM EDT2017-05-26 06:00:11 GMT

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, May 25th.

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Thursday, May 25th.

Powered by Frankly

Features

  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.