The Flathead County Sheriff's Ofﬁce wants to help you keep your boat, your property and your passengers safe while enjoying our beautiful Flathead Valley waterways. Here are some helpful tips:
• Keep engines, fuel and air ﬁlters, and electronics in proper working order. Failure of this equipment can be dangerous and leave you stranded.
• Know the "rules of the road" and be prepared to react to any situation.
• Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return. This is sometimes referred to as a "Float Plan."
• Never drink and drive a boat intoxicated.
SECURING YOUR BOAT
• Record serial numbers, hull numbers and model information of your boat and the equipment on your boat. Make two copies. Keep one in a safe place on the boat and one at home.
• Permanently mark all electronics or other valuable equipment with your driver's license number or state-issued identification number.
• Take pictures of your boat, boat equipment, and electronics to assist law enforcement in identifying them if they are stolen.
• Do not leave your registration on the boat when you are not aboard. That way a criminal cannot produce pertinent information such as name and address.
Keeping your boat safe in the water or on a trailer
• Never leave the keys in the ignition or hide spare keys on the boat.
• Make the boat difficult to start by installing a coded ignition or a hidden kill switch.
• Do not leave valuable electronics or ﬁshing gear onboard and unattended when you are not aboard. Take them with you to a safe place.
• Out of the water, store your boat in a well lit, secure area if possible.
• Select a marina with good security. It should be well lit and busy.
• If possible, store your boat in a locked garage, building or secure storage facility.
The Flathead County Sheriff's Office wants everyone to have a safe summer. If you see suspicious activity notify Law Enforcement by calling 911 and give a description of what you've observed to the 911 call taker. Don't put yourself in harmsway over the above mentioned items, it's only property and can be replaced.