Beach on Being Back in Prison - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

Beach on Being Back in Prison

Posted: Updated:
DEER LODGE -

In 1984, a jury convicted Barry Beach of the 1979 death of Kimberly Nees in Poplar. Beach confessed to law enforcement, but has maintained his innocence for the last 30 years.

He spoke exclusively to ABC FOX MONTANA's Sarah Gravlee from prison Thursday.

December 7, 2011, is a day Beach said he will remember for the rest of his life. It was his stepfather's birthday, the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack and the day District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips said there was enough new evidence to grant Beach a new trial.

"The courtroom just erupted," Beach said.

For the first time in nearly 30 years he walked free.

"I remember it going through my mind, 'They didn't cuff me. They didn't chain me,'" he said.

For the next year and a half Beach lived and worked in Billings. He's gone fly fishing, boating, water skiing, and downhill skiing.

"Life if like ice cream. There's 64 flavors and you gotta try them all," he said. "You don't know what flavor of ice cream it is until you've tried it."

He said his experiences in the last year and a half made it even harder for him to return to prison.

"Oh, I will get out again," Beach said. "My true home is on the streets. I don't belong where I'm sitting right now. I've never belonged where I'm sitting right now."

On May 14th the Montana Supreme Court reversed Phillips' ruling, sending Beach back to prison. While he said some people offered to whisk him away to a foreign nation, he turned them down and turned himself in to local law enforcement.

"If I'm nothing else, and you don't know anything else about me, I'm a man of my word. I had given my word to supporters I would turn myself in," he said. "That was my word. That was my promise. I will always keep my word. If I have to spend the rest of my life in prison, when I die I'll always have that integrity."

On his was back to Deer Lodge, Beach said he laid his head back and closed his eyes. He said it wasn't until the vehicle he was in hit a cattle guard on the way off of I-90 that it really sunk in.

"I hit the cattle guard and I knew where I was and I opened my eyes and it was just so sickening," he said. "I just couldn't believe it was real. It was happening."

Beach said he doesn't lose hope because he knows the Supreme Court is wrong.

So what's next for Barry Beach and what about that confession he gave more than 30 years ago? Stay tuned to the FOX MONTANA NEWS @ NINE and the ABC MONTANA NEWS at 5:30 for those stories next week.

• Most Popular

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

LOOK: Photos Of 'Blood Moon' During Total Lunar Eclipse

Tuesday, April 15 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-15 23:59:30 GMT
    KHQ.COM - It was a sight to behold! The blood moon lit up the heavens last night. If you slept thru it, no need to worry! We recorded the whole thing for you and many of our Facebook friends and viewers have shared the photos that they captured of the total lunar eclipse last night!

Auctioned Bull Raises Money for Fellow Breeder

Friday, April 11 2014 8:11 PM EDT2014-04-12 00:11:47 GMT
    Thousands of dollars were raised in a matter of seconds for a wounded rancher at the 5-L Red Angus Bull Auction in Sheridan Friday. A total of 300 bulls were sold in a matter of four hours, but one bull

Bridger Bowl Closes For The Season

Monday, April 14 2014 8:08 PM EDT2014-04-15 00:08:27 GMT
    Ski season officially comes to an end for skiers at Bridger Bowl on Monday. Russel Ashby moved to Bozeman last year form Australia. This year was his first full season, skiing at Bridger Bowl."I really
    Ski season officially comes to an end for skiers at Bridger Bowl on Monday.

Former Griz Football Player Battles Cancer

Tuesday, April 8 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-08 23:00:04 GMT
    A former Griz football player prepares to take on different kind of physical challenge, after learning he has cancer. Former linebacker Cole Lockwood got his diagnosis just last week and is now recovering

Rhino Bar Employees Learn to Prevent Sexual Violence

Monday, April 14 2014 8:06 PM EDT2014-04-15 00:06:55 GMT
    The Rhino bar in Missoula was crowded on Monday, but at a much earlier hour than usual. Bartenders, servers and security staff met at the bar at 9 a.m. to go through a new training program to help prevent

Missoula Encourages "Smart911" Signups

Tuesday, April 15 2014 12:56 PM EDT2014-04-15 16:56:35 GMT
    Missoula county officials are encouraging community members to sign up for a free service to help emergency responders tailor their response to an individual or family's unique needs. Smart911 is a free,

St. Patrick Hospital To Offer Pediatric And Newborn Services

Monday, April 14 2014 5:32 PM EDT2014-04-14 21:32:39 GMT
    Providence St. Patrick Hospital on Monday announced it will offer of comprehensive women's and children's services. Services will include inpatient obstetrical and newborn care, with a Level 2 neonatal

Pharmacists Refuse To Fill Florence Doctor's Prescriptions

Wednesday, April 9 2014 12:24 AM EDT2014-04-09 04:24:09 GMT
    Paperwork from the Board of Montana Medical Examiners shows several pharmacists refused to fill prescriptions for the patients of Dr. Chris Christensen, the founder of Big Creek Family Medicine and Urgent Care in Florence, due to unusually large doses of medication.
Powered by WorldNow

Features

• More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.