Beach on Being Back in Prison - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

Beach on Being Back in Prison

Posted: Updated:
DEER LODGE -

In 1984, a jury convicted Barry Beach of the 1979 death of Kimberly Nees in Poplar. Beach confessed to law enforcement, but has maintained his innocence for the last 30 years.

He spoke exclusively to ABC FOX MONTANA's Sarah Gravlee from prison Thursday.

December 7, 2011, is a day Beach said he will remember for the rest of his life. It was his stepfather's birthday, the anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack and the day District Court Judge E. Wayne Phillips said there was enough new evidence to grant Beach a new trial.

"The courtroom just erupted," Beach said.

For the first time in nearly 30 years he walked free.

"I remember it going through my mind, 'They didn't cuff me. They didn't chain me,'" he said.

For the next year and a half Beach lived and worked in Billings. He's gone fly fishing, boating, water skiing, and downhill skiing.

"Life if like ice cream. There's 64 flavors and you gotta try them all," he said. "You don't know what flavor of ice cream it is until you've tried it."

He said his experiences in the last year and a half made it even harder for him to return to prison.

"Oh, I will get out again," Beach said. "My true home is on the streets. I don't belong where I'm sitting right now. I've never belonged where I'm sitting right now."

On May 14th the Montana Supreme Court reversed Phillips' ruling, sending Beach back to prison. While he said some people offered to whisk him away to a foreign nation, he turned them down and turned himself in to local law enforcement.

"If I'm nothing else, and you don't know anything else about me, I'm a man of my word. I had given my word to supporters I would turn myself in," he said. "That was my word. That was my promise. I will always keep my word. If I have to spend the rest of my life in prison, when I die I'll always have that integrity."

On his was back to Deer Lodge, Beach said he laid his head back and closed his eyes. He said it wasn't until the vehicle he was in hit a cattle guard on the way off of I-90 that it really sunk in.

"I hit the cattle guard and I knew where I was and I opened my eyes and it was just so sickening," he said. "I just couldn't believe it was real. It was happening."

Beach said he doesn't lose hope because he knows the Supreme Court is wrong.

So what's next for Barry Beach and what about that confession he gave more than 30 years ago? Stay tuned to the FOX MONTANA NEWS @ NINE and the ABC MONTANA NEWS at 5:30 for those stories next week.

• NationalMore>>

Fires force evacuations in West Coast states

Saturday, August 2 2014 4:37 AM EDT2014-08-02 08:37:13 GMT
    Wildfires burning through dry terrain in West Coast states have forced scores of evacuations as fire teams worked to corral the blazes.

Push for charges in NYC police chokehold death

Saturday, August 2 2014 2:06 AM EDT2014-08-02 06:06:09 GMT
    New Yorkers enraged by a man's death in police custody see a medical examiner's ruling that blames a prohibited chokehold as a clear indication the officers involved should face criminal charges.

Hate crime case resurrects racial wounds in NYC

Saturday, August 2 2014 1:33 AM EDT2014-08-02 05:33:04 GMT
    Yitzhak Shuchat, a white member of a civilian patrol group, and Andrew Charles, the black son of a police officer, came face to face in 2008 in a neighborhood with a history of racial strife - that much is certain.
  • Most Popular

• Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Missing Oregon Woman May be in Washington's San Juan Islands

Friday, August 1 2014 2:47 PM EDT2014-08-01 18:47:27 GMT
    (AP) A Dundee, Oregon, woman who has been missing more than a week may be in Washington's San Juan Islands.

BMX Racing Growing in Bozeman

Thursday, July 31 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:36:03 GMT
    Often times, families are trying to think of new ways to spend time together.We introduce you to one family who has found a fun, definitely exciting, and a bit daring way to spend time with one another.

44 Riverside homes destroyed or damaged in storm

Thursday, July 24 2014 3:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 19:46:53 GMT
    RIVERSIDE, Wash. - Many families were still at the Red Cross Shelter set up at Riverside High School in Riverside this morning.An afternoon storm destroyed or damaged 44 of their homes and knocked down close to 100 trees in Riverside Village Mobile Home Park.Many residents said the storm looked like a tornado as it swept through their neighborhood.

Bozeman Mayor Responds to Public Meeting's Abrupt End

Friday, August 1 2014 12:31 AM EDT2014-08-01 04:31:42 GMT
    A public meeting in Bozeman Wednesday night, updating residents on efforts to mitigate violate organic compounds near the Story Mill Road landfill, ended abruptly after one man began shouting at the Mayor.

Many Frustrated By Stalled Cobell Settlements

Wednesday, July 16 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-07-17 01:30:30 GMT
    In Congress Wednesday, the group in charge of doling out Cobell settlement claims says it's waiting on setting exact amounts and a judge's okay before making the rest of the payments.

Ranch At Rock Creek Makes National List

Friday, August 1 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-08-01 21:01:32 GMT
    A luxury ranch right here in Montana is ranked as the most expensive resort in the nation.

Update: Semi Removed, Lanes Reopen After Chemical Spill Near Bonner

Wednesday, July 23 2014 3:22 PM EDT2014-07-23 19:22:36 GMT
    Emergency officials, including health department personnel, are on scene of a semi rollover east of Missoula.

MHP Increases Patrols For Testicle Festival

Thursday, July 31 2014 6:41 PM EDT2014-07-31 22:41:38 GMT
    The 33rd annual Testicle Festival is underway, and officers are bringing in the reinforcements to prevent DUI's.
Powered by WorldNow

Features

• More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.