Police Use Pepper Spray To End Standoff in North Spokane - ABC FOX MONTANA NEWS, WEATHER, SPORTS - KTMF/KWYB

UPDATE: Police Use Pepper Spray To End Standoff In North Spokane

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: During the investigation into this weekend's standoff in the 5500 block of north Greenwood Blvd., witnesses told police 41-year-old James Vandyke made comments about "shooting it out with police" and "suicide by cop."

After police told him he was going to be arrested for domestic violence and needed to surrender he kept challenging the officer telling us to "come in and get him."

Once he was taken into custody and officers searched the house, they found two loaded forty caliber handguns and a loaded assault rifle on the living room floor.

Spokane police have responded to several of these types of incidents in the last couple of months. 

They are highly unpredictable and, as we've seen in jurisdictions around the country recently, can end in citizens and/or officers seriously injured or worse. 

Officers of the Spokane Police Department rely on expert training and state of the arts tools they have to try and resolve the incidents as peacefully as possible.

The Spokane Police would like to once again thank the neighbors and citizens in the area around the incident for their cooperation and patience.  This was key to the successful outcome of this incident.


SPOKANE, Wash. - A standoff lasting several hours in North Spokane ended when police shot pepper spray into the suspect's house on the 5500 block of N. Greenwood Blvd. The man, who was reportedly suicidal, came out immediately after the pepper spray was shot into the house.

After being checked by medics at the scene he was booked into the Spokane County Jail on a Domestic Violence charge. 

News Release From Spokane Police Department:

On 040911, at approximately 7:30pm, SPD patrol officers responded to the report of a possible armed suicidal male in the 5500 block of north Greenwood Blvd.  As the first officer arrived on scene, he witnessed the suspect, 41 year old James Vandyke, forcibly holding his onto wife.  There were also acquaintances of Vandyke's that were refusing officers' commands as they approached the scene.  Vandyke had a gun in his hand and ignored numerous orders to drop it.  He then pointed it at his wife's torso and drug her back into the house.  He came back outside briefly but still refused commands.  A short time later the victim was able to exit the house to the safety of officers.  No one was seriously injured during the original incident.

Once all other citizens were out of harms way, officers set up a perimeter and started planning for the safest resolution to the incident.  There was information there were additional firearms in the home.  SWAT officers and crisis negotiators were called in and a dialogue was established with Vandyke over the phone.  Negotiators tried for several hours to get Vandyke to come out.  Meanwhile, officers obtained a search warrant for the house and the arrest of Vandyke for 2nd Degree Assault-Domestic Violence. 

Negotiators continued to attempt to convince Vandyke to surrender for several more hours.  Vandyke refused all opportunities to surrender. Eventually, police introduced OC (pepper spray) into the house.  Immediately thereafter Vandyke exited the house and surrendered without further incident.  He was checked by medics at the scene and was booked into Spokane County Jail for the above charge. 

Spokane Police would like to thank neighbors and other citizens in the area for their cooperation and patience during this incident.

Previous Coverage:

SPOKANE, WA - Right now, Spokane police and the SWAT team are on scene at a standoff on Greenwood and Rowan. 

Officer Teresa Fuller told us that a man has barricaded himself inside his home, armed with a gun.  No one but himself is in danger.  Police say the standoff could have stemmed from a domestic dispute, but right now, no one is sure of the exact cause.  Officer Fuller also told us they are thinking about letting it play out.  If this happens, police could be on scene through the night. 

Until it's cleared, several roads including Forest Boulevard and Greenwood between Rowan and Bismark will be blocked off.  We'll continue to update this as more details come into the newsroom. 

Powered by WorldNow


  • More Features
  • Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and Cowles Montana Media. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.